Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Safari.

I went on a safari last weekend to the Ngorogoro Crater and Lake Manyara. It was pretty amazing but SO tiring. It took a 4 hour drive to get there which is long enough for me. And during the safari the road was super bumpy which means a lot of motion sickness going on for me, I was inhaling dust pretty much the whole time (so much that I felt there was a layer of dust coating my insides), and I was under the hot sun that beamed on me through the open roofs of the vehicle. My skin had never been so dark.

On the plus side, I saw crazy animals pretty up close. I got to see lions after they had feasted on their kill. Bellies full and sleeping with their legs up in the air while one lion would stay awake to protect the left overs. An elephant crossed the road right in front of the vehicle I was in. I could have gotten out of the car, walked 5 steps, and be able to touch it's loose, gray wrinkly skin. I was sure that it would turn around and turn the vehicle over on its side, but thank goodness it decided not to. I also saw tons of baboons carefully grooming others.

Many of us slept in tents at a camp site (away from the animals, obviously) and I forgot how much I disliked camping. The bathroom situation was not pretty.

I met a lot of great people too. I would always talk to the people working at the camp site who would call me "Rafiki" (friend). They were super nice.

There's more but I have a Swahili lesson in 5 minutes so I better get going. I have Swahili lessons about 3 times a week and it was great at first, but slowly going down hill.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Fanny and I do everything cool and I have more fun than anyone in the world... Lalala... (Sarcasm)

Anonymous said...

Hi Evalynn Sweetie,

Glad to hear you survived the safari. Hmmm....it sounds exciting but you sure had to earn it. I can't wait to hear more and see the photos.

How are the children doing? Do they like all the goodies you brought? Please tell them your neighbor from Seattle says hi.

Your mother has been calling me to keep me up to date.

Lots of Love,
Kari

Seattle Mom 2 said...

Hi Honey,

Your notes and adventures sound wonderful. We are all excited for you. A safari! Outstanding!

Marjan is sellling candy bars this week for her daughter's soccer team.

Our American Heart Walk is getting a lot of sign-ups.

This Saturday is the Husky's first football game! I'll let you know how we do.

Linda, Diane, Irina and all are always asking how you are doing.

Mary-Katherine misses her "little sister".

I of course want to know the most important question.

Have you met a "cute (and) smart guy".

Love you lots & lots,

Hugs & Kisses,
Mom 2
xo xo xo

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds exciting! I cannot wait to hear more about this trip and see pictures. I am thinking about utilizing one of my 4 day weekends and heading back to Seattle before it snows so we can catch up in person. HOpe the rest of your trip goes well!

Sydney

Anonymous said...

does it look like the lion king movie? in my eyes thats how a safari is...lion king. or is it like a zoo? are there zebras and giraffes? let me know, peace.

joseph