Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The count down.

I can't believe I am leaving soon. It makes me so incredibly sad to leave. I try not to think about it to enjoy the rest of my stay here, but it's hard not to. One volunteer is actually leaving a week early and I've been telling people I'd take her last unused week for her 1/2 seriously, 1/2 not. Well, more 3/4 and 1/4.

I went to Zanzibar for the weekend. It's an island about 50 minutes away via air. It was really pretty but very humid and hot. The Indian Ocean looked so beautiful with the sun reflecting off of its blue green waters. I got to see narrow mazes of streets with neat shops inbetween it all. 90% muslim, so I saw a lot of people almost completely covered. It was really interesting to see what a change culture-wise it was in a neighboring island, not too far way. I was in Zanzibar for only 2 nights and 2 days.

Kathy (another volunteer) needs to use the computer so I better get going before she beats me up. She calls me "trouble" and I say I'm her "mini-me" so it's a pretty healthy relationship. I'll try to say more as soon as time allows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you're leaving, but you've got a lot of friends waiting to hear about your trip when you get back.

Seattle Mom 2 said...

Hi Honey:

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and we are so happy that you are making so many memories.

I print up your comments and put them on the reception counter and everyone reads them and asks that I send their best wishes to you.

Mary-Katherine keeps asking how her little sister is doing and can't wait until you get back.

Emily W. is keeping the paperwork going on your desk - you would be very proud of her. Emily P. is in Tiwan for the month of September.

Today we have homemade scones and Ginger Plum jam on the counter. I keep wanting to take a plate to your computer for when you get in.

We miss you so much - but so happy that you are enjoying your get experience and have been representing the U.S.A. and of course the University of Washington in such a wonderful way.

You should ask if there is a way we can collect items here to send to the little school you are working with (or whatever you think is best) from time to time. I'm sure they would love it.

We miss you soooo much. Have fun. Write us when you can.

Hugs & Kisses,
Mom 2 and Mary-Katherine
xo xo xo