Friday, August 10, 2007

Porridge Time


I received information regarding my volunteer placement today. I learned that I am caring for children between the ages of 5 and 7, aiding in the start of their education (English and math mostly). All of the kids are from peasant families and the school the children attend serves as a care center until they are old enough to go to a primary school. Currently there are approximately 80 children and from the notes that I have read from previous volunteers, it sounds like I am caring for around 15! Learning that made me quite nervous, especially since one volunteer didn't earn her respect from the children until the end of the 2nd week! Firm but loving, firm but loving. I have to keep that in mind. I am such a softy. My nerves rose even more when I learned that they may take advantage and then I saw the pictures. Once I saw the children's smiling faces, I got excited more than ever.

That was the moment it hit me. I am actually going to Africa! Not only that, but I am given the opportunity to meet these bright young people. I can't wait to learn their names and their passions. I love art and I am thrilled about doing arts and crafts with them.

Here is a picture of the children eating porridge. They have porridge time daily because a volunteer provides money for the milk and the parents provide the grain. Porridge Time - how great is that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE EVALYNN!

You are wonderful and I am so proud of you!

Love,
Mary-Katherine